This recipe made everyone in my house very happy! It’s a classic meal with crispy smoked paprika wedges, grilled steak, creamy sweetcorn sauce, all rounded out with a healthy side of steamed veggies.
Egg Free | Soy Free | Dairy Free | Gluten Free | Nut Free | Seafood Free
Serves 4 | Preparation time 15 minutes | cooking time 45 minutes
Paprika Spiced Wedges
800g potato (scrubbed)
2.5 teaspoons smoked paprika
½ teaspoon cumin
Season with salt & pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 cups broccoli (cut into florets)
2 large carrots (peeled & sliced into sticks)
Creamy Sweetcorn Sauce
2 tablespoons dairy-free spread
2 tablespoons gluten-free all-purpose flour
1.5 cups rice milk
1 cup creamed corn (check GF & DF)
1 teaspoon dried chives
½ cup sliced spring onion
500g beef sirloin steak (cut into steaks)
1 tablespoon neutral oil (rice bran, canola, sunflower)
Season with black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC bake function and line a roasting tray with baking paper.
- Scrub the potatoes clean and cut into wedges. Pat dry with a clean tea towel - this helps them get crispy. Place the wedges into a large bowl and toss with the paprika, cumin and olive oil. Spread the wedges over the tray in a single layer. Season generously with salt and pepper. Place in the middle of the oven and roast for 25 minutes (put a timer on).
- While the wedges start cooking, finely slice the spring onion and place to one side for the sauce. Prepare the broccoli and carrot and place these in a bowl with 2 tablespoons of water. Cover and place to one side for later.
- Prepare the creamy sweetcorn sauce. Place a saucepan over medium heat and melt the dairy-free spread. Whisk in the flour, let it go ‘frothy’ and stir it around the saucepan for a minute. Next, whisk in 125ml (1/2 cup) of rice milk and allow the sauce to thicken. Once it’s thickened, stir through the remaining rice milk, creamed corn, chives, spring onion and a couple of grinds of salt and pepper. Allow to thicken, while stirring every now and then to stop it sticking. Turn off the heat once thick.
- Turn the wedges and cook for a further 10 to 20 minutes until crispy.
- Place a large frypan over medium-high heat. Drizzle half the oil over the steak and season with black pepper. Once the frypan is hot, add the remaining oil. Cook the steak for 4 minutes per side, or until cooked to your liking. Remove from the pan and allow to rest for 5 minutes.
- Place the covered vegetables in the microwave and cook on high for 2 to 3 minutes until tender. Heat the creamy sweetcorn sauce for 1 to 2 minutes until warmed through.
- Serve the steak with a side of wedges, steamed vegetables and the creamy sweetcorn sauce.
Alana Scott is an experienced allergy-friendly and low-FODMAP cook and author of The Gut Friendly Cookbook (available from Allergy New Zealand).
Her own experience with food allergy and intolerance means she understands how difficult it can be to create delicious and nutritious allergy-friendly food. Find more ideas at alittlebityummy.com
16 July 2021