Tender pork chops with rich paprika-spiced sauce rounded off with creamy mashed potatoes and coleslaw is my kind of food heaven! So good, so tasty and so easy.
GLUTEN FREE | EGG FREE | NUT FREE | DAIRY FREE | SOY FREE | SEAFOOD FREE
Serves 4 | Preparation time 20 minutes | Cooking time 20 minutes
Saucy pork chops
4 pork loin chops
1 tablespoon olive oil, plus more for cooking
¼ teaspoon salt (use more as needed to rub into the pork)
250 ml (1 cup) chicken stock, GF if needed
2 teaspoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
½ teaspoon smoked paprika
¼ teaspoon ground cumin
¼ teaspoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon gluten-free all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped, optional
800g potato, peeled & diced
60 ml (¼ cup) rice milk
2 tablespoons dairy-free spread
¼ teaspoon salt
135g (1 ½ cups) red cabbage, thinly sliced
145g (2 cups) iceberg lettuce, thinly shredded
3 medium carrots, grated
30g (¾ cup) spring onion, green tips only, thinly sliced
1 cup fresh coriander, couple of handfuls, finely chopped
60 ml (¼ cup) mayonnaise (or 2 tablespoons olive oil if egg free)
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice (add more to taste)
1 tablespoon wholegrain mustard
salt and pepper to season
- Rub the pork chops with olive oil and salt. Place to one side. Prep the coleslaw ingredients and place in a large bowl. Mix the mayonnaise (or oil), lemon juice and mustard together and stir through the coleslaw.
- Peel and dice the potatoes, place in a large pot of hot water and bring to the boil. Allow to simmer for 15 to 20 minutes until tender.
- While the potato cooks, cook the pork chops. Heat a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add a drizzle of oil. Once hot, add the chops (a drop of water should sizzle before you add the chops). Cook for about 4 minutes each side, until the chops are golden and cooked through (the juices should run clear).
- Remove the chops from the pan and place to one side to rest (cover with foil). Turn the heat down to medium. Add the chicken stock, brown sugar, apple cider vinegar, smoked paprika, ground cumin, oregano and a few grinds of black pepper to the pan. Scrape the brown bits off the bottom of the pan. Mix the flour with cold water to form a paste and stir through the sauce. Allow to thicken, then stir through the parsley. Place to one side.
- Drain the potatoes and mash with the milk, dairy-free spread and salt. Add another splash of milk as needed until the potato is smooth and fluffy.
- Serve the pork chops with the mashed potato and coleslaw. Drizzle in the paprika-spiced sauce. Enjoy!
Alana Scott is an experienced allergy-friendly and low-FODMAP cook and author of The Gut Friendly Cookbook. Her own experience with food allergy and intolerance means she understands how difficult it can be to create delicious and nutritious allergy-friendly food. Find more ideas at alittlebityummy.com