BBQ Paprika Chicken & Blueberry Salad
This stunning salad is addictive.
Without fail, I always get asked to bring a salad to barbecues. There are so many options to choose from, but for me, salads need to be tasty, veggie-packed and full of fresh flavours, right?
This salad ticks all the boxes. It has sweet and tangy pops of blueberries, cooling chunks of cucumber, luscious slices of BBQ paprika chicken, and of course, crunchy golden croutons all covered in a drizzle of balsamic-maple dressing. This little beauty is a crowd pleaser and has minimal prep time.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Serves: 4 (side salads or 1 large bowl)
¾ cup blueberries
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 tsp maple syrup
Season with salt & pepper
2 slices gluten-free or allergy-friendly bread
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp Cobrams Garlic-Infused Oil
Season with rock salt
Sprinkle of dried oregano
BBQ Paprika Chicken
300g chicken breast (skin removed)
1 tsp smoked paprika
½ tbsp olive oil
3 cups mixed lettuce leaves
1 small cucumber (cut into chunks)
1 radish (thinly sliced)
Sprinkle of fresh oregano or rosemary
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC bake function. Line a small roasting tray with baking paper.
- In a small glass, whisk together the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, maple syrup and a couple of grinds of salt and pepper. Place the blueberries into a small bowl and pour over the balsamic vinegar, then set aside to use later.
- Shred the bread into small chunks and place in a bowl. Whisk together the olive oil and garlic-infused oil, then pour over the bread. Toss the bread until it is evenly coated. Sprinkle generously with rock salt and oregano, then toss again. Place in the roasting tray and spread into a single layer. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes until golden brown, turning once or twice during cooking.
- While the croutons cook, drizzle the chicken breast in olive oil, and then rub in the smoked paprika. Cook the whole chicken breasts on the BBQ, or in a skillet pan, for 5 to 7 minutes per side until golden and cooked through. Then slice.
- Prepare the salad ingredients and place in a large bowl. Then spoon the blueberries into the salad and drizzle over the balsamic mixture. Add the sliced chicken, garlic croutons and a sprinkle of fresh herbs. Enjoy!
Alana Scott is an experienced allergy-friendly and low-FODMAP cook and author of The Gut Friendly Cookbook. Her own experience with food allergy and intolerance means she understands how difficult it can be to create delicious and nutritious allergy-friendly food. Find more ideas at alittlebityummy.com