Are you ready for a sassy salad? Say hello to this little beauty. It’s vibrant and bossy and will leave you wondering why you don’t make brown rice salad more often! Think sweet roast veggies, tender brown rice, lime and basil dressing, and crunchy toasted seeds. This little beauty is perfect for your Christmas table!
Egg free Dairy free Nut free Soy free Seafood free Peanut free Tree nut free Gluten free
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Serves: 4 – 6
260g buttercup pumpkin or squash, peeled and deseeded
2 cups spinach, finely sliced
4 tablespoons fresh lime juice
METHOD1. Preheat the oven to 200°C bake function.
2. Chop the pumpkin and carrot into small bite-sized pieces and place in a roasting tray. Toss with the olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place in the oven and roast for 15 to 20 minutes, until golden and tender.
3. While the vegetables roast, cook the brown rice according to the instructions on the packet directions, then allow to cool.
4. Blitz all the salad dressing ingredients together in a blender or food processor until smooth-ish.
5. Finely chop the spinach and spring onion leaves and place to one side. Drain, rinse and measure out the butter beans.
6. Place a fry pan over medium heat and toast the pumpkin and sunflower seeds for two to three minutes, stirring every now and then, until slightly golden (watch closely otherwise they will burn).
7. Remove the seeds from the fry pan. Place the fry pan back over the heat, add a splash of olive oil, and fry the butter beans until their skin is crispy.
8. Toss all the ingredients into a large bowl, and pour over the salad dressing. Mix until well combined. Season with salt and pepper and serve. This salad is also gorgeous the next day, just keep in the fridge until you are ready to serve.
Alana Scott is an experienced allergy-friendly and low-FODMAP cook and author of The Gut Friendly Cookbook (available from Allergy New Zealand).