Gluten free, dairy free, nut free, egg free, peanut free, soy free, shellfish free
Weeknight meal, here we come! I created this recipe on a night when I really couldn’t be bothered cooking, but I wanted something tasty, something easy, and something that didn’t need too many ingredients.
Say hello to Sticky Pork with Creamy Polenta and Steamed Vegetables.
It has super tasty caramelised pork; thick, creamy polenta, and some steamed veggies to help you get your 5+ a day. For the vegetables, you can use whatever you have in the fridge, but this recipe would also be great with a side salad.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
450g pork fillet (boneless pork chop)
3 Tbsp tomato paste
1 1/2 Tbsp pure maple syrup
1 tsp smoked paprika
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 Tbsp neutral oil (rice bran, canola, sunflower) for cooking
1 cup quick cook polenta
1 cup chicken stock (GF as needed)
3 cups boiling water
1/4 cup vegan cheese (optional, grated)
2 Tbsp dairy-free spread
Season with salt & pepper
1 small courgette/zucchini (finely sliced)
2 cups green beans
1. Mix together the tomato paste, maple syrup, paprika, and cumin in a small bowl. Then smear over the pork fillet, season with salt and pepper, and place to one side.
2. Prepare the vegetables. Finely slice the courgette/zucchini and slice the ends off the green beans. Place in a microwave-proof bowl with 2 tablespoons of water. Cover.
3. Heat a large frypan over medium-high heat. Add the neutral oil. Once hot, add the pork and let it sizzle for 1-2 minutes, then turn down the heat to medium (this will stop the marinade from burning). Cook for 4 minutes each side, until golden and cooked through. Once cooked, allow the pork to rest for 4 minutes.
4. While the pork cooks, bring the stock and water to boil in a large pot. Turn down the heat to low, add the polenta and stir well. Allow the polenta to gently bubble, stirring every couple of minutes for 10 to 15 minutes (check the cook time on the polenta packet as medium-coarse polenta will take longer to cook than fine polenta). If at any point the polenta becomes too thick, add a splash of boiling water.
5. Then remove the polenta from the heat and stir through the grated vegan cheese (if using) and dairy-free spread. Season with salt and pepper.
6. Steam the veggies for three minutes in the microwave, until tender. Season with salt.
7. Serve the pan-fried pork on top of the creamy polenta with the steamed vegetables on the side.